We all have memories and life experiences that make us smile, laugh, and even cry. What if there was a way to keep those memories close by so you could reflect on them whenever you need a pick-me-up? Well, there is! We call it “Journal in a Jar.”
You are likely familiar with the traditional journal jar which is used to hold strips of paper with journal prompts written on them. Each day or week, you pull a slip of paper from the jar and write about the prompt written on the paper.
On This Page
What Is Journal in a Jar?
“Journal in a Jar” works the opposite of traditional journal jars in one major way. Instead of writing prompts on the slips of paper, you write your actual thoughts, feelings, ideas, or whatever you choose. Using “Journal in a Jar” might work like this:
- Pick a consistent time of the day or week to write.
- At that time, grab a post-it note, index card, or ½ sheet of paper.
- Record the date.
- Write whatever comes to mind – thoughts, ideas, memories, life lessons – the sky is the limit.
- When finished, fold the paper and place it in your jar.
- Repeat this process for an entire month or year, then empty the jar and read what you’ve written over time. A unique way to self-connect and reflect.
Supplies You’ll Need
Creating “journal in a jar” is easy. To get started, you’ll need a few supplies.
- A mason jar. You can find these at most craft stores or even reuse one you have around the house.
- Decorations. This is optional but decorating your jar can serve as inspiration to write.
- Something to write your memories on. This can be anything from slips of paper, index cards, old postcards, or even post it notes.
Create Your Journal in a Jar
Prep Your Jar
Once you have all your supplies gathered, start by decorating your jar. You can also decorate the jar however you’d like! Bring out your own creative. Once you’re finished prepping the jar, it’s time to start adding your happy memories.
Fill Your Jar with Memories
This is the fun part! Dig through old photo albums and journals, reflect on your day or read social media posts to find memories you want to include in your jar. Once you’ve found a memory to include, write it down on one of your slips of paper (or whatever you’re using). Level it up by including photos – glue the picture onto slips of your paper or index card. When finished, add what you’ve written to your jar!
Enjoy Every Moment
Place your jar in a spot where you’ll see it often. Every time you see it, take a moment to reflect on one (or more!) of the memories inside.
On days when you’re feeling down or need a little inspiration boost, open your jar, pull out one of the items in it, read, and reflect.
Journaling is great for reflecting on meaningful memories and moments in your life. Creating your journal in a jar is an easy and fun way to do just that! So, what are you waiting for? Gather your supplies and start filling up your “journal in a jar” today!
Take Us On Your Journey
- Not sure what to write about? We can help! Check out our randomly generated journal prompts for ideas.