The holidays are a time for family, friends, and fun. However, they can also be a time of stress. From shopping for gifts to attending holiday parties, it’s easy to get overwhelmed this time of year. That’s why it’s important to take some time for yourself and practice some self-care. Here are a few simple ways to do just that.
On This Page
5 Simple Self-Care Ideas
1. Get outside and get moving. Even if it’s cold outside, there are still plenty of reasons to get out and get active. Fresh air and exercise are great for relieving stress and boosting your mood. So, bundle up and take a walk around the block or go for a hike in the woods. You’ll be glad you did!
2. Set aside time for yourself. With all the hustle and bustle of the holidays, it’s easy to forget to set aside some time for yourself. Schedule some “me time” so you don’t get burned out. Whether it’s taking a long bath, reading your favorite book, or taking a yoga class, make sure you’re carving out some time each day to do something you enjoy just for yourself.
3. Sip Some Tea (or other favorite drink!). Cozy up with a cup of tea and take a break from the hustle and bustle of the holiday season. Herbal teas like chamomile and lavender are especially relaxing, but any type of tea will do the trick. Take some time to yourself and enjoy a few quiet moments with your favorite beverage.
4. Connect with loved ones. The holidays are a great time to catch up with family and friends, both near and far. Whether you’re sending out holiday cards or Facetiming with long-distance relatives, take some time to connect with the people you care about most. These meaningful connections will help reduce stress and bring some joy into your life during what can be a hectic time of year.
5. Give Back. One of the best ways to feel good during the holidays is by giving back to others who may be less fortunate. Volunteer at a local soup kitchen, donate clothes or toys to a children’s hospital, or simply pay it forward by buying someone’s coffee who looks like they could use some cheering up. Spread some holiday cheer and you’re guaranteed to feel good in return!
Self-Care Is Never Self-ish
Finding just 5 to 10 minute time-outs during the holiday season for “self-care pit stops” may be difficult. But, making time to check in with yourself and how you are doing is something your mind and spirit will thank you for. So put on your comfy clothes, pour yourself a cup of hot cocoa, sit back, and enjoy this special time of year – you deserve it!
This Month’s Quote
This month’s quote reminds us that the best gift we can give others is the best of ourselves. Whether you hang out in the bathroom, go outside on the porch, or steal time in an empty bedroom – take time to re-energize throughout the holiday season.
This Month’s Journal Prompt
Self-Reflect and Grow
It’s time to self-reflect! Grab your favorite Disrupted Unicorn Journal Notebook and pen, get comfy, take a few deep breaths, and reflect on this month’s journal prompt:
For the next 5 – 15 minutes, write down your thoughts:
- What are the most important aspects of the holidays to you?
- How do you like to spend time during the holidays?
- How will you remind yourself to relax this season?
Journal writing is a personal and often deeply emotional activity. If you feel uncomfortable or distressed about a particular prompt we post, please feel free to skip it and journal about whatever is on your mind or heart.